Download Item (61.4 MB)
The Dominican Band (Fanfare de l’Association Saint-Dominique) began in 1894. Under the direction of Louis N. Gendreau, they had their first public engagement at Lewiston’s centennial celebration in 1895, and became popular doing “promenade concerts” at Lewiston City Hall. For new members, the band relied on the expert training of boys in the Ste. Cecelia Band. In the late 30’s, the Montagnard Club assumed direction of the band, renaming it La Fanfare Montagnard.
Row 1: Henri Jalbert, John Toutain, Joseph Dumais (Director), Wilfred Boucher, George Dumais, Romeo McGraw, Joseph Beaudette.
Row 2: Charles McGraw, Lucien Beaudette, Nadeau, Fournier, Desire Daqmin, Joseph Nadeau (drum major), Charles Guimond, Harry Lavoie, Arthur Croteau, Emilio Ouellette.
Row 3: Denis Giguere, George Carrier, Antonio Caber, Ferdinand Labrecque, Dominique Gagnon, Albert Giroux, Garneau or Galarneau, Armand Pinette
Row 4: Ludger Monier, Joseph Chenard, Fred Caron, Edmond Cote, Henri Chenard.
Franco-American Heritage Collection; copy print by Jere DeWaters.
Franco-American Collection, music, music traditions
Arts and Humanities | History | Music | Public History
Franco-American Music Traditions Collection, Franco-American Collection, University of Southern Maine Libraries. Copy print by Jere DeWaters.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.