The overall goal of the project is to help private owners navigate the dredging/disposal process and make informed decisions that are:
- Cost effective (including all steps of the process);
- In compliance with regulations; and
- Geared to specific needs (material volume, sediment type and level of contamination).
As part of this objective, we have attempted to do the following:
- Describe the regulatory process for disposal alternatives (upland, ocean, and others) in simple but accurate terms.
- Develop a complete list of disposal alternatives.
- Develop a comprehensive alternatives analysis for possible disposal alternatives and screening process.
- Develop a resource compendium in an appendix, including resources (websites, reports, contacts, used to develop information).
Normandeau Associates. (2008). Guidance for Private Property Owners: Steps and Alternatives for Disposal of Material Dredged from River and Harbors of Casco Bay. [Report R-21260 submitted to The Casco Bay Estuary Partnership, Portland, Maine]. Portland, ME: University of Southern Maine, Muskie School of Public Service, Casco Bay Estuary Partnership.
Casco Bay, Dredge
Casco Bay, Casco Bay watershed