Advancing Tobacco Prevention and Control in Rural America: Executive Summary
rural, tobacco, prevention, MRHRC, substance use disorders, behavioral health, population health, policy, access, cessation, public health
The objectives of the comprehensive report were to:
- examine rates and patterns of commercial tobacco use across rural subpopulations;
- explore aspects of the rural context that may affect tobacco prevention and control efforts;
- provide an overview of rural tobacco control activities over the past ten years;
- suggest directions for future research; and
- offer recommendations for advancing rural tobacco control initiatives.
Public health professionals, health department leaders, elected officials, and tobacco control advocates are encouraged read the full report to understand the unique challenges tobacco control programs face in rural communities, identify strategies and interventions that have worked, and review recommendations to improve tobacco control efforts in rural communities across the country.
Funding Organization or Grant
National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI)
Talbot JA, Williamson ME, Pearson KB et al. Advancing Tobacco Prevention and Control in Rural America. Washington, DC: National Network of Public Health Institutes; 2019. Executive Summary.